Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dresses for the Ladies!

I've been thinking alot about bridesmaid dresses lately... This last weekend we had a little BBQ and get together at our house with a few friends (NFR on TV, see my personal blog for that post...) Anyway, it turns out a few friends adds up to a third of our wedding party! Although my maids have been chosen and set in stone, more on that in a later post, Mr. M is still debating on his dudes. But I think he's got a pretty good idea...
So me and the ladies discussed dresses, and lots of things wedding, during our little get together. Here is my initial bridesmaid dress inspiration board created over at Style Me Pretty. As you can see there's lots of pink... But none are really the shade I'm going for.

Bridesmaids

The uniformity will come in with all of the girls wearing the same length (cocktail), same color (some shade of bright pink), and same material (sort of leaning towards chiffon).
Then each girl will be able to pick her own neckline.
My ladies vary in size and shape, absolutely. I have everything from my modest sister, who WILL be wearing some sort of cover up if she goes strapless,  to my tall, lanky friend that will choose something sexy. And I love it!
I love that my girls are different. That's why they were chosen, each is different in their shapes, their heights, and most importantly, as a friend. Each is important to me in different aspect of my life. But as I said before, that's a topic for a post coming soon.

So... What do you think? Do you think that's a good balance of uniformity, but also individuality?
I want my maids to be able to choose a dress they will enjoy, and hopefully wear again. If you're gonna spend that much, you wanna wear it more than once! But I also want them to look like their supposed to be standing up there with me, not just some random guests that wondered to the front.
What about the material? It will be a summer wedding, in June. So something light and airy seems to fit the bill? Will chiffon do the trick? Do you have any opinions as to what will work best to keep the ladies comfortable, but still lovely? And classy, but not too formal? I would love to hear your opinions!!

7 comments:

Rae Shattuck said...

I think it's great that you're sort of letting each girl choose her own 'style'. Not every girl is shaped the same and being a former bride myself I know that it can be a task trying to find ONE style that fits all.

I love the dresses, they'll be adorable in your summer wedding.

Unknown said...

I agree! With 6 bridesmaids, I have 6 very different body types... I think it'll make each girl feel more comfortable in a dress they like.

Sara said...

i think the dresses your looking at are just lovely & chiffon will be perfect for the summer! I am partial to the "choose your own neckline" idea because that is what I did too. I had 6 bridesmaids and not one of them had the same shape as the other. They loved having choices.

Morgen said...

love it! i had all mine wear the same dress...but they all looked fab in the dress. (i had planned on them choosing their own, but 5 of the 6 picked the same dress, weird i know) i went with a color that could be worn over and over again (black) i was thinking teal(my colors were black white and teal), but my bridesmaids said they probably would not wear that color again. 4 of my 6 have worn their dress again to formal dinners, recitals or other weddings. good luck on the search!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sara, for the validation! I was really hoping someone would say it worked out well! :) That's what I'm going to do. Decided. :)

Morgen, I've thought about doing black dresses, cause I know they're more likely to wear that color again, but I'm aiming for bright, fun colors... DO you think pink will never be worn again?? Anyone??

Morgen said...

pink is a great color...will all of them wear it again, no. will a few of them wear it again, sure. no matter what you decide it is your big day. you will have to probably buy a dress for their wedding that you may not wear again, but when you asked them to be a bridesmaid and they said yes, they knew that they will be getting a dress that may not be their style (or color) but YOU need to be the happiest!

Unknown said...

Thanks Morgen! I do already have a dress from a wedding of one of my ladies that I will NEVER wear again... So great point!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...